Spring is officially here! I always look forward to the pleasant temperatures and beautiful flowers that come along with this time of year. In honor of this lovely season, we wanted to bring you this beautiful butterfly cupcake. It’s simple to put together, but it looks delicate and happy, and it perfectly captures the feeling of spring!
My favorite thing about this cupcake is that you don’t have to be a decorating wizard for it to come out looking pretty! Rather than painstakingly painting on a butterfly with frosting, you use pretzels for the wings and candy for the body! In addition to ensuring that each cupcake comes out looking uniform, the pretzels also add a fun crunchy and savory component to this dessert. Using pretzels and candy to decorate also makes this the perfect cupcake to make with children!
To start out with, you will simply bake 12 basic cupcakes. You can make this easy and fast by using a box mix, or you can jazz it up by enlisting your favorite recipe! After they are baked, let them cool all the way.
Once the cupcakes are cool to the touch, you get to start decorating! I begin by filling up a piping bag with my base color frosting–bright blue. Starting in the center, pipe the icing in a steady swirl until it covers the entire top portion of the cupcake.
Next, get a new piping bag (and smaller tip, sizes listed in recipe below) and fill it with the white frosting. Use this to create two small star shapes on one side of each cupcake.
For these pictures, I have chosen bright blue and white (exact colors listed in recipe below). I love how this combination looks like the bright spring sky! However, you can choose whatever colors you like. These cupcakes could be great for a baby shower or birthday party, especially with the colors customized for the person of honor.
With your frosting finished, it’s time to create the butterfly. This is the part that kids really love, so if you have children, be sure to invite them to help. First, you will take four of the chocolate pearls and line them up in a straight line next to the white “cloud” of frosting.
Last, of course, come the wings! Take two pretzels and press them diagonally into the frosting on either size of the chocolate pearls!
And there you have it: a fun and beautiful spring cupcake that comes out perfectly every time!
Are you planning to make these Butterfly Pretzel Cupcakes? If you do, be sure to let us know how they turn out! Happy spring, everyone!
These beautiful butterfly cupcakes are perfect for spring and so fun to make! The butterfly design is made out of pretzels and candies, so your decoration is sure to turn out pretty, every time. These would be beautiful for Easter, a baby shower or a birthday. Because it is a fun and easy design, this would also be an awesome cupcake to make with kids!
- 12 cupcakes from your favorite recipe or boxed mix
- 2 to 3 cups blue frosting (Pictured: Pillsbury Funfetti Aqua Blue Vanilla Frosting, 15.6-Ounce)
- 1 cup white frosting (Pictured: Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Frosting, Vanilla, 16 Oz)
- 24 miniature pretzels
- 48 candy coated chocolate pearls such as Sixlets
- Place blue frosting in a piping bag fitted with a 2A icing tip. Pipe frosting in a layer on cupcakes in a spiral motion from the center to the outside of the cupcake.
- Place white frosting in a piping bag fitted with a 1M icing tip. Pipe two small stars to one side on top of the cupcake.
- Line 4 chocolate pearls beside the white “cloud.” Press to attach to the frosting.
- Press one pretzel into each side of the chocolate pearls as the butterfly’s wings.