Do you or someone you know love Pokémon? One of the summer’s most anticipated family movies is Pokémon Detective Pikachu, coming to theaters on May 10! If you are a Pokémon fan, you probably already know its famous slogan: “Gotta catch em all!” This expression refers to the goal of every Pokémon “master trainer:” to catch as many Pokémon as possible using a red and white sphere called a Pokéball!
Because of the excitement surrounding the release of Pokémon Detective Pikachu, we are bringing you these Pokémon-inspired cupcakes that look just like Pokéballs ! They are the perfect treats to “master” for your next gaming party, Pokémon-themed birthday, or simply in anticipation of the new Pikachu movie! We hope you have fun making (and eating) them!
Even though these Pokémon -themed cupcakes look professional, they are actually really easy to create. It’s all thanks to our special ingredient: fondant! Fondant is a stiff, smooth icing that is extremely workable. Using fondant for this cupcake is what makes the Pokéball design look clean, sleek, and instantly recognizable.
Start by baking 12 plain cupcakes. You can use either your favorite recipe or a boxed mix. Since the decorations are what make this cupcake stand out, go ahead and pick any flavor that you and your group will enjoy!
Next, you are going to frost the top of the cupcakes with plain white vanilla frosting. Once again, you can choose a homemade recipe or use a store-bought one to save on time. The frosting will lay the foundation for the fondant decoration and glue it into place!
Once your cupcakes are frosted, you will begin to work with the fondant. Roll out each color into a thin sheet. Then use a simple round cookie cutter (or biscuit cutter) to cut out white and red circles. These circles should be about the same size as the tops of the cupcakes.
Position each white semi-circle of fondant onto the bottom half of each cupcake, and put each red semi-circle on top. Gently press the pieces into the frosting to make sure they are secure. You may have some frosting squish out from underneath. Smooth that off.
(Absolutely no judgement if the extra frosting goes into your mouth afterwards.)
Now it’s time to add the black and white centerpiece. Use a knife to cut straight, 1/2 inch black strips of fondant to lay across the middle of each cupcake, covering up the seam.
Then use a small, circular pattern to cut out very small black circles. I find that the base of a piping tip creates just about the right size.
Use a straw to cut out (even smaller) white circles.
Place the white circles on top of the black ones.
Last, position this final piece into the center of each cupcake.
That’s all there is to it! Now you can create fun, Pokémon-themed cupcakes in no time at all (especially if you use shortcuts like a boxed mix and store-bought icing). Whether you are making these for the Detective Pikachu movie release or for a birthday party, we know that any Pokémon fans (and kids especially) will be delighted with them! If you make them, be sure to let us know how they turn out!
Kids are sure to love these fun, Pokémon-inspired cupcakes! While they look like something a professional baker would make, the Pokéball design is made simple by using fondant! We hope you have fun making them and enjoy them for all of your Pokémon-themed parties!
- 12 cupcakes (from your favorite recipe or boxed mix)
- 2 cups vanilla frosting (from your favorite recipe or canned frosting)
- 2 (4.4 ounce) containers red fondant
- 2 (4.4 ounce) containers white fondant
- 1 (4.4 ounce) containers black fondant
- Frost cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
- Roll out each colored fondant (to about ¼ cm thick).
- Using a circle cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut red and white fondant to the same size as as the cupcake. Then, use a knife to cut each circle in half.
- Position a white semicircle on the bottom of each cupcake and a red semi circle on the top of each cupcake. Press the fondant into place. Smooth any frosting that escapes under the fondant to create a clean edge.
- Use a small circle (like a piping tip) to cut circles from the black fondant. Also cut straight strips from the fondant the same length as the width of the cupcakes and about ½ inch wide.
- Place black strips across the seam between the red and white fondant. Then, place a black circle in the middle of each strip.
- From the remaining white fondant, use a straw to cut small circles. Or, use a small pinch of fondant to create a tiny round sphere and then press it flat. Gently press the small white circle on to the center of the black circle.