Are you trying to keep your carb count low (or just eat healthier?) We know that can be easy to get stuck in a rut when you are skipping the carbs. That’s why we’re spicing up your life with this amazing low carb Greek chicken bowl!
This fresh and tasty dish uses a variety of textures, flavors and aromatic herbs that are guaranteed to make your taste buds happy. You can serve the toppings over lettuce (for a salad bowl) or over cauliflower rice (to make it a hot dish.) Either way, it makes a totally refreshing and healthy meal that is perfect for summer!
They say that “variety is the spice of life,” and this is true about a healthy diet, too! If you follow a low carb diet, don’t cringe at the sight of chicken breasts on the list of ingredients below. Don’t worry: this isn’t your dry and boring chicken breast.
In fact, my favorite thing about this particular recipe is that it uses a method way of preparing chicken breasts that makes the chicken super moist and flavorful!
To start off, you are going to slice your chicken breast fillets thinly and place them in a large mixing bowl. Next, you will add the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Personally, I also really like to use Cavender’s Greek All Purpose Seasoning on my Greek dishes, for a little extra zing. You will finish this off with a combination of thyme, oregano and rosemary.
Cover the bowl and allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The marinade tenderizes the chicken and infuses it with zesty goodness.
After the chicken has marinated, prepare a skillet by setting it to medium-high heat and coating it with olive oil. Make sure your pan is nice and hot (I like to add a drop of water and make sure I can hear it sizzle!). Add the chicken and sear each piece well on both sides.
When all of the chicken is cooked through and has a beautiful sear on the outside, you will cut it into even thinner strips that will be the focus of your Greek Chicken Bowl.
Next comes the fun part: building your bowl! Because of the summer heat, I’m really into using lettuce as the base of my bowl at the moment. However, you can also use cauliflower rice for a delicious, hot low carb option. Cauliflower rice is an awesome staple to add to your regular meal rotation if you are on a low carb diet, and it is so easy to prepare at home with a food processor!
Place your base of choice at the bottom of the bowl. Then you can add Greek-inspired toppings such as: red onion, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, olives and feta cheese. I like all of these toppings for my bowl, but this dish is great because each individual can customize his or her own bowl. Finish off each bowl with the marinated, seared chicken strips and a dollop of low carb Tzatziki sauce. Yum!
This Low Carb Greek Chicken Bowl is healthy, tasty, and packed with Mediterranean flavor! It’s a wonderful dish to add to your low carb meal rotation, especially during the warm months ahead! Let us know how you like it!
For the chicken:
- 5 Thin cut chicken breast fillets
- ¼ c. Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Cloves minced garlic
- Juice from half of a lemon
- 1 tsp. Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bowls:
- Lettuce mix or cauliflower rice
- Sliced onions
- Cherry tomatoes
- Marinated olives
- Feta cheese
- Sliced cucumbers
- Keto-friendly tzatziki sauce
- Place the thin sliced chicken breast fillets into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, minced garlic, 1 tbsp of the olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the oregano, thyme and rosemary. Coat the chicken well and evenly in the mixture.
- Cover the bowl, and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the other tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through and seared well on the outside.
- Slice the chicken into strips.
- Fill a bowl with your choice of cauliflower rice or lettuce mix.
- Top with sliced cucumbers, onions, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olives and the sliced chicken breast.
- Top with keto-friendly tzatziki sauce if desired, and serve immediately.
Most grocery stores carry pre-made Tzatziki sauce and many brands are naturally low in carbs!