As someone who has spent the last few Thanksgivings trying to stay gluten-free, low carb or BOTH, I can attest to two things. Firstly, sticking to your low carb and/or gluten free diet through the holidays is possible (it can even be done pretty painlessly.) Secondly, this is only the case if you plan ahead a little by preparing some special items that you can enjoy while staying true to your way of eating. For Thanksgiving (and maybe Christmas, too), most families enjoy a side of dressing alongside the turkey. If you follow a low carb and/or gluten free way of eating, you may feel like you have to opt out on this classic dish. However, you may be surprised at how easy it actually is to make a delicious Low Carb, Gluten Free Thanksgiving Dressing!
Not only is this recipe a great option for those following a low carb/gluten free diet, it actually takes takes the same amount of time and effort to prepare as a regular cornbread dressing. It’s also just really delicious. My whole family (including those who aren’t low carb or gluten free) has enjoyed this recipe at the holidays (many of them without knowing the difference!)
Please note: As with most Thanksgiving dressing recipes, this one requires a made-in-advance bread option (in this case, low carb cornbread). You can find our recipe for Low Carb Cornbread, here. Be sure to make it before it’s time to put your Thanksgiving dressing together!
To make the dressing, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with nonstick cooking spray.
Chop your prepared cornbread into cubes, spread them out on the baking sheet, and toast them for 7-9 minutes til they are crunchy at the edges. Then remove them from the oven and set them aside. At this point, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Now for the part that is going to make your kitchen smell amazing! Heat a skillet over medium heat on the stovetop and coat it with olive oil. Add your celery, onion and bell pepper to the pan and saute until all of the veggies are softened.
In a large bowl, toss together cornbread, vegetables, and seasonings. Pour half of the chicken stock over the mixture and stir. Add additional chicken stock until the cornbread is moist (but not soggy.)
Transfer dressing mixture to casserole dish and gently level the dressing with a wooden spoon.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is crispy, and the middle is warm. Enjoy alongside some delicious turkey!
We hope this Low Carb, Gluten Free Thanksgiving Dressing helps you enjoy a happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday! Do you follow a Low Carb and/or Gluten Free lifestyle? What are some of your favorite dishes to enjoy during the holidays?Print
Worried you’ll miss out on one of your favorite Thanksgiving dishes because of your low carb (or gluten free) way of eating? Worry no more! This delicious Low Carb, Gluten Free Thanksgiving Dressing is here to save the day!
4 cups low carb cornbread, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 stalk celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ to 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spritz with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place cubed cornbread on baking sheet and toast in the oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until crunchy at the edges. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. To the olive oil, add the vegetables and cook until softened.
- In a large bowl, toss together cornbread, vegetables, and seasonings. Pour half of the chicken stock over the mixture and stir. Add additional chicken stock until the cornbread is moist but not soggy.
- Transfer dressing mixture to casserole dish and level the dressing. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is crispy and the middle is warm.