When you’re the chef of your family and trying to stick to a special way of eating, such as a low carb diet, we all know it can be tough to find meals that everyone can eat and enjoy. After all, who wants to try to scurry around trying to make low-carb AND non low-carb dinners? Not this mama– I don’t have time for that! I like to keep keep an eye out for family-friendly recipes that fit everyone’s needs at once. This recipe for Low Carb Family-Friendly Ground Beef Casserole ticks all the boxes! It’s delicious, filling and even picky eaters will enjoy the satisfying combination of meat, cheese and spices!
To get started with this recipe, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. You’ll also want to go ahead and cook up your cauliflower rice.
If you are eating low-carb and haven’t tried cauliflower rice yet, you are missing out! Even if you aren’t a cauliflower fan, you may be surprised at how versatile this rice substitute can be in your low carb dishes. I love that it’s now available in most grocery stores in the freezer section, too.
Place the steam-able bag of frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave and steam it for about 4-5 minutes (whatever the package instructions for your particular brand say.) Once it’s cooked, remove the cauli-rice and drain it to remove the excess moisture. Spread out the riced cauliflower in an even layer on the bottom of casserole dish.
Next, you’ll get started on the meat-and-sauce layer. In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onions over medium-high heat. Cook until ground beef is browned and crumbled. Drain well and return to skillet.
To the skillet, add tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. All of these ingredients combine to create a rich, slightly spicy (but not too spicy) flavor profile that is reminiscent of chili! Stir to blend and heat it all through until it’s bubbling.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add sour cream, cottage cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
Stir to blend the mixture together. Spread in an even layer over cauliflower, creating a wonderful, rich, creamy layer for your casserole.
On top of the cheesy layer, place the ground beef sauce and then top it off with plenty of cheddar cheese!
Slide the entire casserole into the pre-heated oven and bake it for 30 minutes (or until the cheese on top has melted and edges are bubbly.) The end result is a delicious casserole filled with layers of meat, flavorful spices, and creamy cheeses. Yum! Who wouldn’t like that? Top the casserole with sliced green onions, serve and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this family-friendly low carb casserole! If you’re living a low carb lifestyle, does your family eat whatever you eat, or is it a struggle to get everyone enjoying the same meals?
We want to keep bringing you recipes that keep your meals tasty and your life simple!
It can be tough staying low carb while cooking for others, and that’s why you’ll love this satisfying Family-Friendly Low Carb Ground Beef Casserole! This delicious casserole is filled with layers of meat, flavorful spices, and creamy cheeses that will please everyone while fitting into your low carb lifestyle! It also comes together quickly on busy weeknights.
1 (12 ounce) package frozen riced cauliflower
2 pounds ground chuck
1 onion, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup sour cream
½ cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place riced cauliflower in a microwave-safe container and microwave for 4 to 5 minutes until tender. Drain to remove excess moisture. Place in an even layer on the bottom of casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef with onions over medium-high heat. Cook until ground beef browned and crumbled. Drain well and return to skillet.
- To the skillet, add tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir to blend and heat until bubbling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly. Add sour cream, cottage cheese, and monterey jack. Stir to blend. Spread in an even layer over cauliflower.
- On top of the cheesy layer, place the ground beef sauce. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top has melted and edges are bubbly.
- Top with sliced green onions and serve.