I have so many wonderful memories of cooking with family the week (and day) Thanksgiving. As a kid, you really want to be part of the fun and have a “job” to help with the festivities. If you are looking for ways to involve your kids in making something special this Thanksgiving, we have the perfect treat to share! Kids of all ages will love making (and eating) these cute, tasty and easy Rolo Turkey Treats!
These turkey-inspired candy treats are sweet, salty, crunchy and so much fun! They’re versatile, too. They’d be a great addition to the Thanksgiving dessert round-up (because we all know you need multiple desserts at Thanksgiving), or they’d make a fun appetizer. Best of all, kids of any age can make them!
If there are a lot of little ones at your Thanksgiving gathering this year, you may even want to set these up at a kids’ table and let your children (or nieces, nephews, grandchildren…) enjoy creating these together.
To get started, preheat your oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, lay the pretzels on the baking sheet and place 3 candy corn pieces on top of each one.
Top each arrangement with a Rolo candy and then carefully place the pan in the oven. You only want to bake these for about 3-5 minutes, just long enough for the Rolo candy to soften and stick to the pretzel (but not melt completely).
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. While the candies are still soft, press a coated (M & M or similar ) chocolate candy into each Rolo to make the beak. Orange, yellow or red work best! As you press the candy into the Rolo, the chocolate and caramel will push through the pretzel to attach everything together (are you drooling yet?)
Note: As you can see, we’ve also made these without candy corn for a slightly less sweet (but just as delicious) option! They still look like turkeys, too (just not quite as colorful).
While the Rolo is still a little gooey, press the candy eyes into place. No matter what age you are, you have to giggle at the site of those silly candy eyes!
And there you have it: adorable sweet-and-salty candy turkeys for your Thanksgiving gathering!
After you’ve put everything into place, you do need to allow the candies to harden before serving. You can speed this up by just putting them into the fridge or freezer for a few minutes. And if you want, you can even use these adorable candies as Thanksgiving-themed toppers for cupcakes, cake, or pie! However, they are delicious and fun to enjoy just by themselves! If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container for a few days!
Do you like to involve your kids in the kitchen throughout the holidays? What do they like to make or help with?Print
Looking something your kids can help prepare this Thanksgiving? These sweet-and-salty Rolo Turkey Candies are adorable, fun and easy to make!
Mini pretzel twists (1 for each treat) Candy corn (3 for each treat) Rolo caramel candies, unwrapped (1 for each treat) Small candy eyeballs Red or orange candy-coated chocolate candies (1 for each treat – I used M&Ms.) Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay the pretzels on the baking sheet. Balance 3 candy corn candies on the pretzel and top with a Rolo candy.
- Carefully place in the oven and watch carefully until the Rolo candy is soft but not melted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and while the candies are still soft, press one candy-coated chocolate candy into each Rolo. As you press the candy into the Rolo, the chocolate and caramel will push through the pretzel to attach everything together. Use orange to resemble the turkey’s beak or red to serve as the turkey’s wattle.
- Immediately press the candy eyeballs into place. A toothpick is the perfect tool for arranging and pressing the eyeballs without making a mess of the soft Rolo candy.
- Allow candies to harden to their unmelted state before serving. To speed the process, place the baking sheet in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator in an airtight container.