This hearty and yummy Chicken Kale Quinoa soup is loaded with antioxidant-rich kale, nutritious quinoa, and immune-boosting garlic. It’s also got the delicious flavors of bacon (because who doesn’t love bacon) and plenty of spices. It’s a great dinner choice for the whole family, whether the cold winter months have you in full-on “soup mode,” or you are feeling a bit under the weather and need a little bit of extra nutrition. This flavorful soup also comes together quickly, making it great for busy weeknights. If you’re looking for a healthy and delicious spin on classic chicken soup, you’ll love this recipe!
4 slices bacon
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
⅔ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
6 cups kale, stems removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pot and drain. Chop and set aside for serving.
- Add chicken to pot and increase heat to medium-high. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook chicken for 6 minutes, cooking chicken on all sides.
- To the chicken, add onion, carrots, and garlic, cooking for 5 to 6 minutes or until the vegetables are softened but not mushy. Stir in the bay leaves and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- When the soup comes to a boil, add the quinoa. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa begins to soften but has not released the curly grain.
- Remove lid and add kale to the soup. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until the kale is tender.
- Serve topped with cooked bacon. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.