This gorgeous apple tree cupcake decoration is simple and fun to create! Use Oreos, chocolate and Tootsie Roll to create gorgeous, edible apple trees for the top of your favorite cupcakes (or muffins). These would be perfect for autumn events, the first day of school, or family reunions!
12 Double Stuf Oreo cookies
1 (12 ounce) package green candy melts wafers
2 to 3 cups vanilla frosting in green (Used store bought canned frosting)
12 Tootsie Roll Midgies
Red mini M&M candies (5 to 9 for each cupcake)
You will also need:
Large open star tip (Wilton 1M Open Star Piping Tip)
White lollipop sticks, cut to 3 to 4 inches (one cut stick for each cupcake)
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Gently press a lollipop stick into the cream center of the cookies. If the cookie cracks, press it back together.
- Melt candy coating according to package directions. If the candy is too thick to pour, add 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Stir well. Do not add water. You can add up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil per bag of candy wafers.
- Dip each cookie into melted candy. Remove cookie, tapping gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess candy to return to the bowl. If air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick. Place the cookie onto the waxed paper.
- While it is still wet, apply 4 to 6 mini M&Ms on each cookie. Allow cookies to set completely.
- Once cookies are set, twist a Tootsie Roll around the top half (where the cookie connects) of the stem on each cookie pop.
- To decorate the cupcakes, pipe frosting over cupcake in a circular direction working from the center of the cupcake towards the outside.
- Press a cookie pop into the center of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle remaining M&M candies around the cookie pop.