We know that kids enjoy baking, especially when decoration is involved. This recipe for Easy Decorated Sugar Cookies includes the cookie recipe as well as some kid-friendly decorating tips. You’ll love baking, decorating and eating these sweet treats together!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp almond extract
- ¾ tsp salt
• Stand mixer is helpful, but not necessary.
• 5 (or more) empty plastic condiment containers
• Food coloring (one color for each bottle)
• Candy Sprinkles
• Store bought cake frosting or homemade buttercream (the cake frosting
holds up best in the bottles and during decorating)
In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
• Beat in eggs, vanilla, and almond extracts.
• Mix in flour and salt until thoroughly combined.
• Prep dough by dividing into fourths, form into discs, and wrap with plastic.
Refrigerate for one hour or make ahead and refridgerate overnight.
• Remove chilled dough from refrigerator and roll one wrapped disc on a
lightly floured surface to 1/4” thick.
• Lighlty flour the cookie cutters and press into dough. Move cutouts to an
ungreased cookie sheet with a spatula.
• Bake at 350° for 8 minutes, or until they just start to color.
• Transfer to wire cooling racks.
• In separate bowls, mix together frosting and food coloring until well
• Scoop frosting into a condament bottle (the easiest, fastest, and least
messy way to do this is to fill ziploc bags full of the frosting, snip a hole and
squeeze it into the bottle.
• Set up the kids with a tray of frosting bottles and candy sprinkles and let
them create their delicious masterpieces.
- Serving Size: approx 36