Are you following a low carb lifestyle and looking for ideas to liven up your regular rotation of meals? Look no further. This deliciously different Low Carb Breakfast Pizza makes a tasty, filling low carb option for breakfast, brunch, or really, any time of day. It’d be great to make for a special occasion or large crowd, too—even those who aren’t counting carbs will enjoy it!
We are choosing a delicious line-up of meats and low-carb veggies for toppings on this breakfast pizza, such as: bacon, sausage, mushrooms, etc (see the full list below). Of course, you can customize this recipe with your own favorite low carb toppings! Before you get into cooking, you’ll pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Then you’ll get started on the crust.
For the Crust
To get started with this pizza, you’ll first make your crust. The “crust” for this pizza is actually cheese-based (yum)! This kind of dough is sometimes called “fat head” dough. Because it’s high fat/low carb, this is a great dough to know how to make when you are on the Keto diet, especially.
In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese for 1 minute. Then pull it out and stir to combine and make a gorgeously cheesy blob.
In another smaller bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, pepper, and eggs. Stir this mixture into the cheese mixture to create a dough.
Once everything’s combined, press the dough into a 12-inch cast iron skillet or onto a pizza stone. Pierce the dough with a toothpick to make holes in it. (This helps keep your dough from puffing up when you bake it.)
Place your cast iron skillet (or pizza stone) in the oven and bake the dough for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from the oven.
For the Toppings
While your crust is baking is the perfect time to work on the rest of your pizza. (Note: This recipe calls for cooked sausage and bacon, so if you haven’t already cooked these ingredients, you’ll want to do that before adding them to your pizza.) Next, heat some oil in a medium skillet and saute the onions and bell peppers for 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften. Then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
After this, you will whisk together the eggs and then pour them- uncooked- over the crust.
Over the eggs, layer the meats and vegetables.
Top with your favorite kind of cheese. (Mine is extra sharp cheddar!)
Slide the pizza back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes (or until the cheese has melted). Serve your finished pizza by cutting it into “slices” and garnishing with sliced green onions, if desired.
What are some of your favorite low carb breakfasts? Do you plan to try this Low Carb Breakfast Pizza as part of your low carb diet?
This deliciously different Low Carb Breakfast Pizza makes a tasty, filling low carb option for breakfast, brunch (or really, any time of day). It’d be great to make for a special occasion or large crowd, too—even those who aren’t counting carbs will enjoy it!
For the dough:
2 ounces cream cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
For the pizza:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
½ pound bulk sausage, browned and drained
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms
1 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat cream cheese with mozzarella cheese for 1 minute. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, pepper, and eggs. Stir into cheeses to create a dough.
- Press dough into a 12 inch cast iron skillet or onto a pizza stone. Pierce the dough with holes using a toothpick.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and bell peppers. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- To build the pizza, top the dough with the beaten eggs.
- Over the eggs, layer the meats and vegetables. Top with cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve sliced into pizza wedges and topped with sliced green onion, if desired.