The perfect turkey is easier than you think! This brined and roasted turkey is succulent, juicy and full of flavor. Your Thanksgiving guests will love it!
2 cups kosher salt
2 gallons water
1 apple, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, cut into pieces
The day before cooking:
- Remove turkey from packaging. Remove gravy packet (if included) and giblets. Rinse well on the inside and outside.
- In a large stock pot, dissolve kosher salt in water. Once the salt is completely dissolved, add the turkey to the pot. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to cook:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove turkey from the brine and rinse well on the inside and outside. Pat dry. Place in a roasting pan and bend wings under the bird.
- To the cavities of the turkey, add apple and vegetables.
- Baste the turkey with olive oil and generously salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place turkey in the oven and cook according to the chart below or until reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Watch turkey carefully. If the skin on top begins to brown faster that the rest of the turkey, create a loose tent of aluminum foil over the top of the turkey.
- When done, allow the turkey to rest for 20 to 30 minutes prior to carving.
Unstuffed turkey cooking times:
10 to 18 pounds 3 to 3-1/2 hours
18 to 22 pounds 3-1/2 to 4 hours
22 to 24 pounds 4 to 4-1/2 hours
24 to 29 pounds 4-1/2 to 5 hours